Everyone loves a bit of comfort food (especially me). And Italian favourites like spaghetti and meatballs are top of my list of go-to feel-good foods. I needed to make a version that was nutritious, but still had that comfort food indulgence about it.
There are two ways of going about making these beauties. I did the slow-cooker version, but you can also just do this on the stove top as well.
(makes 3 servings)
500g minced beef
1 red onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup almond flour
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Pinch red pepper flakes
200g tomato paste
2 tins plum tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2-3/4 tsp pink salt
¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
150g courgette (per person)
1/2 tsp ghee/coconut oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4-1/2 tsp chilli flakes, to taste
– Mix the chopped onion & garlic, and split into 1/2. Put half of the mixture into the slow cooker with the rest of the sauce ingredients
– Add the other half of the onions/garlic into a bowl with the minced beef and the rest of the meatball ingredients.
– Gently combine this mixture (do not over mix or the meatballs will be too tough)
– Heat your frying pan back up with 1 tbsp oil
– Form meatballs by hand (this mix made 12 the size of golf balls)
– Brown the edges of the meatballs in the frying pan, but do not cook all the way through as this will be done in the slow cooker. Once browned, add the meatballs to the sauce in the slow cooker, set to low and cook for 4-5 hours
Note: If you didn’t want to slow cook this meal, then add all of the sauce ingredients into a large pan, add the browned meatballs and cook for 45 minutes…
– Courgetti: Spiralise your courgettes and cut the strips into manageable pieces.
– Add 1/2 tsp ghee or oil into frying pan and add the courgettes with garlic powder, chilli flakes and any other seasonings. Hardly any oil is required as courgettes are quite watery
– Fry until heated/softened slightly. Everyone likes them different so taste until you’re happy!
(based on 1/3 of the meatballs and 150g courgetti)
48g Protein / 29g Carbs / 31g Fat