I want to take this opportunity to welcome you to 2015 and to YOUR FITNESS JOURNEY.
I find New Years Resolutions quite strange. People make them – people complain about them – then people just stop bothering with them and throw them aside. But not us!! We are the kinda people that actually mean it when we say it. And there are reasons for this:
- We’ve set an specific goal.
- The goal that we have set is relevant to us, and
- We’ve given ourselves a realistic time frame.
Now, some of you may have tried jumping on the fitness bandwagon once before, maybe even twice…but this time, it’s going to be different. And do you know why? Because you’re determined, you’re mentally prepared, you’re ready..and you’ve got my support one million percent!!
But if you’re brand new to this fitness thing that’s crazing the world, then I am here to help you along your way. This stuff can be confusing – Gyms are daunting, people can be unfriendly and not having the right support can make you want to quit before you’ve even started. But don’t! Because, I promise you, it’ll all be worth it.
But where do I even start?
If you are wanting to get a little fitter and lose a bit of weight, the best thing to do is to join a gym. Here are some simple steps to follow when choosing the right gym for you:
- Pick three or four local gyms to check out. A girl needs options you know!!
- Ask a member of staff to show you around and talk you through the facilities. This will give you an insight on how friendly/helpful the staff are at the gym. (I hate the kind of staff who are just there because it’s a job. I want to know that I can ask for advice if I needed to).
- Take home a list and breakdown of packages for different levels of membership. And make sure you understand them before you leave your show-around. There’s nothing worse than not having a full understanding when comparing different packages.
- Make a note of any ‘added extras’. Does this gym have a swimming pool? Maybe it has a steam room & sauna? There could be a unique selling point that sways your decision. (Personally – I like to check out the showers. I need a gym with good showers/changing facilities, or else getting ready for work after the gym just isn’t comfortable).
- Find out if they do a day pass and try before you buy! It’s super important for you to feel comfortable at your gym, with the instructors and the staff. So see whether you can try out a free class or a gym session.
Once you have carefully chosen and joined the right gym for you, you need to sit and figure out what the best way is to get to your goal. There will be a lot of trial and error, so don’t worry if you don’t get it right the first time around – just try something else. Personally for me, I have to start out with classes to get my head back into the gym game. Then, once I have the motivation – I can start going to the gym by myself. I need a helping hand a lot of the time, and classes are perfect for that because you kinda can’t get out of them once it’s started, and you know it’s a good full bodied workout.
Please take the time to work out what works for you. And remember one thing – the gym isn’t going to be that busy ever again!! Those people who spend their days complaining about their New Years Resolutions will be gone before you can say squat. Leaving more room for you to, well, squat!
Tiffy Top Tip – Ask questions!! Ask questions all the time! If you want some advice, or you want to try something new, then ask around. Everyone has a different way of doing things, and maybe one of those ways could work for you! So ask away and give everything a go!
I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for following me into this New Year. 2015 is definitely going to be our year, and yes, I do have my own resolutions/goals:
- To reduce my body fat percentage to 15-17%
- To continue living a healthy lifestyle (not to diet)
- To look and feel better than I ever have before.
And I am the same as everyone else – I need support, I need encouragement, and I need a good telling off if I am heading in the wrong direction. So make sure you help me out as well!!